I just spent the last 3 hours screwing around in my kitchen with a variety of things, dinner being one of them. Here are some random thoughts and learnings…
- Broccoli rabe is a pretty good alternative as a dark green vegetable to the spinach, broccoli, and broccolini that I usually eat. Given the tight quarters in my kitchen, it’s a good idea to boil this ahead of time (about 6 mins), shock, and store until ready for dinner. About 5-10 minutes in a saute pan to finish it. Fresh Direct sent a pretty good batch of it.
- I really should eat more bluefish.
- There are a number of decent videos on how to render clarified butter, but nobody warned me that when the butter is first melting that it might sit quietly for a while, as it plots to suddenly explode all over my stove and floor. I barely escaped with my life.
- Also, nobody warned me how good it would smell when it was finished… it was heavenly.
- Baby octopus is incredibly tender when it is boiled for about 45 minutes. It is also one of the scariest looking items I’ve ever cooked. It was like cooking an alien. I still need to figure out just what to mix it with, though. Doesn’t have too much flavor on its own.